Friday, February 14, 2014

Great Joys and Sorrows



            Back in September, 2013, sometime early in the process of my radiation treatments, perhaps the very first day; I was sitting in the radiation therapy waiting room, anxious about what was to transpire.  As I sat there, I couldn’t help but overhear the conversation of the couple a few feet away sharing their story with another patient.
            A couple in their late 40’s and she has a tumor the size of a lemon on top of her brain.  I listened in awe to their story that morning and found myself amazed at their optimism and amazingly positive attitude toward the ordeal.  It was inspiring.
            Two days ago I watched as friends and family gathered to honor her life and the reality of cancer hit me once again.  Muggy and I visited Janet and Dale

Janet, Dale and me
in early January at their home.  We knew Janet was in hospice at the time and we are glad we had a chance to visit.
            Janet Miller was a sweet lady!!  I am blessed and enriched to have met and known both she and her husband Dale.  They always had a story to tell and a laugh or word of encouragement to share.
            Why did our paths cross at this point in time in our lives?  Why did cancer take Janet? Why am I here writing a blog entry?  So many questions that we cannot know the answers to, but I can draw solace from just having known her.
Dale, his Mother and us
            And I lift up prayers for God’s grace and mercy for Dale and their children, for Janet’s parents, for Dale’s parents, for all the family and friends who have lost a piece of their world that could only be filled by Janet. 
Dale and me
    



1 comment:

  1. Thank you Ken. janet was truely a Proverbs 31 Lady. I too have questions that only God can answer. This I know...I serve a great God who always had in place what we needed before we arrive. that includes wonderful people at the Hope Lodge who have in turn become amazing friends . Dale Miller

    ReplyDelete