Thursday, March 20, 2014

Feeling Stronger and Stronger

     It’s March 20, 2014.  I completed my radiation and chemotherapies five months ago.  
     I had a PET and CT scan done in early January.  Several people have asked me for the results and I apologize for not having put any update here on the blog.  The scans both showed nothing.  That’s a good thing.  It will be a year or two before my doctors make the statement I am cancer free, but, for now, the negative findings on my scans is GREAT news!
     I’ve been in recovery mode for most of that time.  No significant physical effects from the treatments, but I noted a substantial loss of stamina.  I simply could not do as much as I had been previously able to do.  At times, I considered that perhaps this lack of previously held stamina was the new “normal”.  I’m happy to say, it is not the new normal as I’m getting stronger all the time.   
     Two weeks ago I spent two days on an extension ladder helping a friend paint some very high ceilings.  In spite of two days on the ladder, up and down frequently, I was still able to come home and work in the yard.

     And now, I’m back on the mountain in Tennessee.  I was last here in September of last year.  I was in between my surgery and the start of the therapies.  Muggy and I made the trip then as we knew the Chateau needed to be winterized; and we had no idea if I would be physically able to do the required tasks while going through chemo and radiation.  
     So, it’s been six months since I’ve been here and a lot has happened in that time.  And God’s grace has carried me through it all.  So, here I am and I have been working like a mule today.  I started at 8:30 this morning, cutting grass, weed-whipping, cutting wood with my chain saw, hauling, stacking and more.  I’ve been at it for almost seven hours and, although tired, I FEEL GREAT!!

No comments:

Post a Comment