Thursday, November 14, 2013

One Month Post Treatment



            Now, I’m one month post treatments.  I wish I could say that I’m back to normal and my life has returned to previous activity levels; it has not.  Honestly, I know that I’m being overly optimistic and unreasonable in the expectation that things should be back to “normal”.  I’ve done some reading this week about what to expect post treatments.  It can take two to three months to get back to normal (whatever “normal” may be), or, one will never return to previous activity levels.  I need to be prepared to adjust to what may be my new normal.

            That’s difficult for me to accept.  I’m borderline obsessive when it comes to activity levels.  I NEED to be doing things; projects, school, adventures, etc.  I find that I’m able to engage in projects and/or activities for 1-2 hours and then it’s time to rest.  And I do find myself taking naps on a regular basis.  Yesterday, I got dressed to go you yoga class.  I laid down on the bed for a minute and the next thing I knew, I had slept and was too late to make the class!  Someone told me this week that maybe I’m beginning to act like a “regular 60-year old”.  Not sure how that sits with me.  I do not want to be a “regular 60-year old” as the image that conjures in my mind is very negative.  Honestly, I think the image of a normal 60-year old is changing as we baby boomers achieve that milestone.

            I’ve read a couple of articles now that use the word epidemic for the incidence of HPV positive throat cancers in men in this country and Canada.  Apparently there are a lot of men being diagnosed and treated for these cancers.  The upside is that the prognosis for cure is quite high.  The downside is additional monetary burden on the healthcare system.

            Speaking of the healthcare system; I’m compelled to comment on the developing fiasco that is the Affordable Care Act (ACA), otherwise known as Obamacare.  Here’s a very simple approach to understanding the ACA.  If there were 47 million uninsured people in the U.S. and the goal is to get them all insured; is it not reasonable and logical to think it’s going to cost more money?   Of course it’s going to cost more.  And, the additional costs are covered by a) having more people buy insurance (such as the immortals in the age group 22-35), or b) having the government pay the costs (which means the debt and your taxes are going up, or c) having those who already have insurance pay more for what they were already receiving.  I do not debate that we need to provide adequate healthcare coverage to all, but I’m not convinced the ACA is the correct answer.  And, right now, I believe the President is dismayed that his administration’s legacy is doing so poorly.

No comments:

Post a Comment