Monday, October 14, 2013

Week Seven; We're Near the End

The beginning of the end.  Wednesday of this week I will conclude 6 ½ weeks of radiation and chemotherapy for my squamous cell cancer of the left tonsil.  Two lymph nodes and my tonsils were removed in a procedure on July 29, 2013.  Subsequently, I began the radiation and chemo regime on Sept. 3rd.  There were many speculations as to what might happen during the treatments: loss of hair, loss of hearing, mouth sores, xerostomia, etc.
I’m happy to report that I have tolerated the treatments exceptionally well; my doctors have told me so.  I had a feeding tube inserted back in August in anticipation of it being difficult to swallow.  I’m happy to report that I have not had to use the tube even once for nutrition purposes.  Some of my fellow residents at the Hope Lodge give me a bad time because I’ve not had much problem with eating and swallowing whereas they have.  It must be individual differences.  Individual differences and make sure you have a prayer support team.  Even though I’m still eating…sort of, I’ve lost a lot of weight.  I was near 220 when I started.  This morning I weigh in at 192.  My doctors may be upset with me this week, but we are at the end after all. I’m hopeful that as my body begins the healing process after the cessation of treatments that my appetite and weight will come back.  It is vitally important during treatments like this that the body have adequate calories to affect the healing/restorative process within the body.  The human body is an amazing machine, we just need to maintain it properly.
And, let me say about this machine we call our body that if one is mentally prepared and thinking positively about what one is going through, it is far more likely that the body will respond positively. 
In the last week, the cumulative effects of the radiation and chemo have manifested as burns on my neck which are quite painful.  I’ve used a combination of Aquaphor, Skintegrity (from my doctor), pain pills, magic mouthwash and liquid pain meds.  It’s really kind of a pain in the butt (well, maybe a pain in the neck!) to have to do all this doctoring, but it’s proven effective.  Plus, Muggy (my wife) has patiently cleaned the burned areas gently and thoroughly. 
As the curtain draws closed on this chapter of my life, I’m blessed to think of the number of people who’ve supported me through these challenges.  I’ve enjoyed writing this blog and hope to continue.  I hope you’ll continue to read. 
And I sincerely wish to thank God for his blessings and grace on me during this time.  Early on I asked for grace through the treatments.  He has granted that request.  Don’t get wrong, there have been challenges, but all in all, I just want to give Him thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment