Saturday, October 12, 2013

Getting Close; Chemo is Done!!


            It’s likely that we’ve all heard the phrase “a journey of 1000 miles begins with the first step.”  Back in August, I was looking a yet another 1000 mile journey in my life as I had learned I have throat cancer.  Many are the times when confronting these 1000 mile jaunts that one may wish there were another way as oftentimes the journeys are long, or arduous or ever dangerous.  Walking 1000 miles stands symbolically as the challenge of what’s being confronted.  It’s not going to be easy, but it’s one step at a time and eventually, the journey is complete.
Cocoa Beach Sunrise
            I sit here on this beautiful October morning wondering aloud about this journey I’ve been on with HPV positive squamous cell cancer of the tonsils.  I began this journey back in January of 2013 while vacationing with dear family members Cathy and Dale and my beautiful wife Muggy at one of my favorite spots in the world, Cocoa Beach, Florida.  It’s been a year of certainties (seemingly) and uncertainties (more assuredly!).  We were “certain” that God did not intend for me to have cancer, so whatever that lump was, it “certainly” was not cancer!  Oops!  Wrong, it was cancer.  And, you know what?  That’s okay.  Had it not been cancer I would never have met the people I’ve met nor had the experiences I’ve had along the way.  My life is deeply richer for experiences of this journey. 
            And yes, it was cancer and that pretty well rocks the boat of your life.  But, we’ve weathered the storm to date and there’s a very positive forecast for the morning!  The sun will come up in all its splendor and life will go on. 
I met with my medical oncologist on Friday morning and he says “You’re done with chemotherapy!”  I don’t have to take anymore chemo treatments and that, my friends, is truly a blessing!  And he and the rest of the team of doctors have talked about me and how well I have weathered this storm.  Some, but not all of them know the God I have on my side through all of this and the throng of friends and family I have praying for me yesterday, today and tomorrow!
I have healing to do.  The sores both inside and outside my neck are pretty nasty and it will take time to heal from these.  I have three radiation treatments left next week and then, graduation from the Hope Lodge as my treatments will be complete.  Graduation will be a small event held at the Hope Lodge on Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013 at 5:30pm.  We will be joined by fellow residents from the lodge and by friends and family. 
For now, I offer up thanksgiving to my God for sustaining me on this journey.    And I thank each and every one of you who’s read the blog, thought positively or prayed.  I’m not done writing.  I plan to continue.   Besides, there are significant events happening this week which I’ll want to share.
For now, be blessed in all that you do and say!!

1 comment: