Monday, October 21, 2013

Onward to New Challenges



            And now, it’s Oct 21st and I have been remiss in posting updates; my apologies.  It’s been a hectic and relaxing few days of transition from the treatment regime to being back at home.  So, this morning it is Monday, Oct 21st at 9:00 am and I’m still in bed and it feels great!

            My oldest son Luke gave me a great perspective on dealing with cancer and the other challenges life throws at me at any given time.  I am blessed that I don’t have to worry about going to work and earning a living.  I/we are in a wonderful time in our life to be able to face these challenges head on. 

On Thursday morning at 7:05, I completed a regime of cancer therapy involving 33 radiation therapies and six sessions of chemo therapy.  I am blessed to have come through this with minimal side effects.  I am even more blessed in thinking of the friends and acquaintances I’ve made along the way.

            Although I'm done with the cancer treatments, I hope to remain engaged with the Hope Lodge.  I plan to donate time and energy to the Lodge in the form of work projects in the coming months.  There are small projects to be accomplished there and I will stay in touch with Director Danny Sheltz to help out where I can.

            So, let me back the truck up here a little bit.  On Thursday, Oct 10, 2013, we held a little celebration with our friends at Hope Lodge as I celebrated 32
32 Year Celebration
years of sobriety.  Historically, we have not made a big deal out of this, but this year it somehow seemed appropriate.  Muggy ordered a great looking cake for the event and I even took a bite.


            I say took a bite because my appetite is totally gone.  If anyone is looking for a sure-fire way to lose weight I heartily recommend radiation and chemotherapy for neck cancer.  I’ve now lost about 40 lbs (hope my doctors don’t read this!!), but I needed to lose the weight.  And I’m very happy to be where I am and hope that I can stay close to the weight I’m at now.  It has primarily come from having no appetite.  It’s a challenge to keep up an intake of calories, especially protein to give my body the energy and stores it needs to continue the healing.  By the way, I don’t really recommend this method to lose weight!

            After the celebration on Oct 10th, we went to watch the WNBA Championship Game between the Atlanta Dream and the Minnesota Lynx.  It was fun and the Lynx won.
Muggy, Sylvia and Kim

            We’ve got a new attraction in the backyard here at home.  A very talented squirrel has found an innovative method for getting birdseed from the feeder.  Quite agile don’t you think?
Furry Gymnast

             












Graduation on Oct 16th was a very special

event, made all the more special by the attendance of good friend Karen M., family member Don and Lisa Johnson and son Erik.  A great time was had by all as we shared very meaningful insights into our lives.  And the cakes!!  Sister-in-law Marcia said she wanted to be a part of the celebration so she funded the desserts; and what an array it was!! 
Delicious Desserts!!


Sister-in-law Kelley came for a visit this past weekend.  She was here primarily to see her middle son and his wife who now live here in Georgia, but it was great we all had a chance for a get together.  We met at Tanger Malls near Locust Grove and then had dinner at The French Market in downtown Locust Grove….HIGHLY recommended.  Great food, great atmosphere and really good service.
Sisters!
 
Next steps now are to complete follow-up appointments with my doctors at Emory.  I’ve had enough doctor appointments in the past six months to last me the rest of my life, but there are likely to be more.  Hopefully, Justin Case (my feeding tube) and I will part company this coming FridayopH

.  By mid December, there will be another PET scan to ascertain whether there’s any more cancer (there won’t be!!). 

            And now, it’s time to get on with life!!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you are doing well. We are thinking of you often and hope to be able to see you guys soon. Beep.

    ReplyDelete