Tuesday, October 1, 2013

You Sir, Are a Rock Star!



          “You sir, are a rock star with the manner in which you’re handling these treatments!” said Dr. Hall and then Dr. Higgins agreed that my toleration is amazing.  It’s all the prayer and positive ladies and gentlemen and I thank you from the bottom of my heart!
            We returned to the Hope Lodge yesterday in time for me to get my 20th radiation treatment.  That’s 20 of 33, so we’re making excellent progress.  Seriously, Doctors Hall (resident) and Dr. Higgins (my radiation oncologist) are amazed at how well I’m doing. They commented today that visual inspection of my mouth indicates pretty advanced mouth sores and I should be having a much more difficult time.  I’m not!  I am eating what I want, albeit not too much. And the regimen I’ve established with the medications certainly seems to working exceptionally well.  I don’t even need to use the feeding tube, but remember, its name is Justin Case, and it’s looking like we may not need it.
To illustrate my level of strong well-being, I went to work for Danny Sheltz today pressure washing the garden walk behind the lodge.  Danny is the manager of this particular lodge and a really great guy.  Watch for a blog post from my interview with him in the next couple of days.  Muggy came out and helped by brushing cobwebs and sweeping leaves away.  It was a gorgeous afternoon and just enough work to make a guy feel good about doing something, but not too much to wear one out.
Isn't she gorgeous?!?

Man the gun!!


Today was my long day.  It was radiation by 6:50 AM, then upstairs for blood draw to check all the different indicators.  ALL of my levels are holding well!  Blood draw accomplished and it was about a 15 minutes wait to be called in for my chemotherapy.  My weight is down about 14 pounds. I’m at a weight now I haven’t seen since late1990’s.  Oh yeah, that’s what I’m talking about.  And the nutritionist and doctors are not yelling at me, so I must be progressing well in that area also. 
I was called in for chemo about 8:00AM and by 10:45, we were packing up and headed out for the day.  
Patio blocks bought to memorialize

We enjoyed a day filled with great conversation and getting to know our fellow residents better.  It’s is such a blessing meeting and getting to know the folks God has crossed our path with at this juncture in our lives.  My posts have probably impressed upon you readers that the experience here is nothing short of amazing.  But, I need to say, it just keeps getting better.  Muggy and I have advanced to the “senior” level in terms of time accomplished vis-à-vis time remaining.  As of tomorrow, I have two weeks left; and I’m already missing the people and the conversations.  All of this works together to turn a potential valley in our lives on its head and make it into a mountaintop experience!
And now, there’s a cadre of new residents to encourage and uplift and pray for so I find myself looking forward to a restful night’s sleep and conversation over coffee in the morning.
Thank you all for the positive thoughts and prayers.  I know it’s making a difference and it helps me in achieving and maintaining a very positive attitude toward the Story of Charmin.
Blessings to everyone, wherever you may be.  There are folks all over the world reading this blog, so in a sense we are all connecting globally.
Wild beast in the garden!!  Watch Out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment