Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Historic Sites, Good Friends and Great Times



            Wow!  Just when I was thinking that my posts might be approaching something like “I went to Walmart today!”, I enjoy a day like we did today.  This may have to expand into two posts.

            And I’m not even sure where to start because it’s all such good stuff.  But, let me begin by expressing my thanks for all the prayers and God’s grace through this adventure.  I began my day by heading out early for my labs.  Each week, prior to chemo, labs are drawn and all the different measurements are checked to see how I’m progressing.  I was in and out of there by 7:20.  So, I headed downstairs to the radiation treatment area.  Erica called me in almost right away (sat for maybe four minutes!) and we had that knocked out by 7:45.  Then, back upstairs to wait for my 8:40 chemo appointment.  Thing is, I didn’t have to wait.  I hadn’t been there for five minutes when they called me in and checked blood pressure, weight and temperature.  Down about eight pounds since we started.  I was taken back to the infusion area and seated in my chair.  (Maybe this does sound like “I went to Walmart!”)  Stay with me, it gets better!

            When the nurse comes in with my lab results, she announces in a very loud voice that ALL of my results are nearly perfect!  It’s expected that the drugs and such may have a negative effect on lab results.  In my case, the only thing “off” was my platelets were 149 instead of 150; and that’s nothing!

            Readers:  I am in my fourth week of a 6 ½ regime and I’m doing really, really well!  When you hear the activity level for the rest of the day, you will understand just how good I’m feeling!  Now, I understand that I may hit nadir (low point) sometime later this week, or next week, but for now I am blessed!

            Oh yeah, there’s one casualty from the regime so far.  I went to trim my goatee this morning and I noticed something out of the ordinary.  Note in these pictures the left side of my goatee. 


Note the bald spot chin left




the NEW look
Most of it is not there anymore.  The radiation and chemo have extracted a toll from that portion of my whiskers.  Also, the left side of my face has very little stubble, so that explains what happened to my goatee.  Note the new look in the second picture.  I kind of look like Howie Mandel don’tcha think?  No, wait a minute, that would mean my hair is gone too.  That has NOT started….yet!

            So, we were out of the infusion center by 10:30 this morning and all was well.  We were headed for a rendezvous with two members of that internationally acclaimed group ON AN ON.  Nate and Alissa are performing in Hot-Lanta tonight and we got to spend the afternoon with them.

             We started with lunch at the Sun In My Belly restaurant on College Street in SE Atlanta.  Really neat place with lots of excellent choices.  I had to be a groupie and get my picture taken with the ON AN ON members.  What makes knowing these two so much fun is that they both grew up in Brainerd, the town we lived in for eight years.  Nate’s parents and we were best friends.  Nate spent the years from age four to age 12 hanging out with us at Legionville School Patrol Camp on North Long Lake.  Nate commented yesterday that it was during the time of his life that who he is as a person developed.  He’s known Alissa since grade school and they were married a number of years ago.

            After lunch we brought Nate and Alissa over the Hope Lodge and introduced them to some of the residents.  Then, we headed for downtown Atlanta and the Martin Luther King National Historic site.  The site is a very powerful place to visit which underscores Rev. King’s accomplishments, impacts and his advocacy of non-violence.  The non-violence stood in stark contrast to our next stop, the Grant Park Civil War Cyclorama. 

            This proved to be quite a dichotomy of places to visit in one afternoon.  At some level, both the life of MLK and the Civil War were about human and civil rights.  One promoted non-violence which unfortunately led to violence on the part of others; the other was all about horrific violence.  Ours was a sobering afternoon.

            But no tour or activity on an afternoon in Atlanta is complete without a visit to the local Smoothie King.  Love those Smoothie Kings!! 


We also visited Little Five Points and the best vintage clothing store I’ve ever seen and recently recognized as such in Atlanta, The Clothing Warehouse.   


 Interesting small world connection was realized here.  When Nate and Alissa travel from venue to venue, they sometimes stay at private homes, which they did here in Atlanta.  Turns out, the young lady whose home they stayed in works at the Clothing Warehouse, so we had to get a picture with the band members and Abby and the new, styling sunglasses Nate and Alissa bought.


We dropped them off at The Basement which was their venue for the evening.  Unfortunately, we were unable to hang for their show at 10:00pm, (Hanson, are you a half-stepper?!?).  We wished them well and hope to see them again soon!

We returned to the Lodge and enjoyed great conversation with the other residents in preparation for a new aspect to this blog.  I’m asking some of the residents if they will share their story of their battle with cancer and I’ll begin posting later today.
Blessings to y'all today!  Thanks for reading!

1 comment: